Monday, June 29, 2009

Countdown.....

Ten days to baby chicks!!
 
Yes, the anticipation is growing. Babies are precious to begin with. Such hope and possibility all in a tiny little adoring package.
At this stage of the game, the new additions are all snug and warm in thier shells, half formed. In another week, they will begin 'pipping'....I wish I could be there to see them emerge from thier shells and totter around the first time. I am content to wait on the hatchery though. I know they will ship healthy little ladies to me and they will arrive one day old and raring to grow.
I have some decisions to make while I wait...
Do I put the brooder inside or outside? As warm as the weather has been lately, I bet I could put it outside and thereby save myself some clean up hassle.
Where am I going to place their new coop? I don't want it too far from the house so that I will be able to hear them. Since our neighbor logged his land, we've had a zillion predators move onto our place.  The good thing is part of the new birds will be guineas, who will sound the alarm at the approach of anything and everything that makes them the least uncomfortable.
Do I share? ummm...gotta think about that one some more.

No comments: