Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Arts of Living

Recently, we've been doing a lot of hands on studying of the old crafts, arts of the Ozarks, and girls in general. I, personally, have a very strong belief that we must; as directed in the Old Testament, pass the knowledge to our children. More than just the stories and traditions, more than just our faith, we must teach them our ways. The humm drum day to day skills that we use to do what we do. And we must instill it deep enough that they in turn pass it down to the next generation. Not only is it a way to connect our decendants to thier heritage, it will someday, be our decendents preservation.

Okay...so, in doing that we spent an afternoon at a wonderful presentation Shiloh museum hosted for the community. "A stitch in Time" so to speak. The crafters ranged from quilt makers to lace makers...wonderful ladies who took the time to actually speak and teach and share thier love of the old with a new generation.

Awhile back we had toured Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Mansfield, MO and I had bought Rachel a drop-spindel as a souvenier. How lovely to find a lady who took the time to show her step by step how to use it.


Rachel already had somewhat of an idea from my instruction, but it wasn't something that had held my interest for long so I couldn't really give her anything other than basics. This lady answered all of her questions and gave her plenty of practical tips to help improve her spinning. She came home and spent the next two days practicing. She also brushed the dog to get more hair to spin.



Miss Emma was taken in by the smocking. She's only recently been open to any kind of sewing instruction even though she's helped with several different projects over the years. I was pushing her into it before...now she has her own interest.



The demonstrator not only showed her how to do the stitch...she allowed Emily to use her things and smock a piece of her own from beginning to end and sent her home with pieces to practice with.



Me, I reflect fondly on all the different 'arts' I can choose to do and am thankful that my daily comfort and survival is not tied in so dramatically to me actually 'doing'. One hundred years ago, few things in a home were bought even in wealthy families. The lace maker also shared an interesting thought with me. She uses lace making with her ADHD sons as 'therapy'. As the mother of an ADHD child (and myself too), I can see how this would be a good tool.

No comments: