Thursday, July 30, 2009

Chick Diaries Week 2

So....what can I say. The ladies and gent continue to grow. They have doubled in size again.



No longer can I close them up in my hand. They're also starting to show some character and individuality. Wings are totally grown in, most have got their tail feathers



and the guineas are starting to loose the fluff on thier necks...eventually the poor babes will be bald-headed.



I wasn't going to include this shot of Emily cause she's sooo covered in chocolate cake batter from creating her cake...but it is so typical of her.

Another change this week is we gave them a much bigger brooder box. The old one had become too small ...ok...so now they're in a box that a water heater comes in. I cut it down about 1 ft. so I can reach into it. The guineas are very happy with it and like to fly up and perch on the edges of it. Not quite what I had in mind, but as long as they don't start venturing out away from the box, I can live with it. I don't think it will be long before they try to make it to all of my house plants and hide in them.
They're going through 2 quarts of water a day, and about 4 cups of food.



Rachel thought up this shot. This little cochin is the Queen of her heart. She's named her Camamelina or something funky like that. Their colors are really starting to fill in and look very promising.



I haven't named any of my birds yet.

2 comments:

twinshiner said...

Her name was caramel not camamelina but thank you mom I like both so I am going to name her carealinda in instead.
rach

Chelle said...

Very cute! Rach- I think you need to ask Mom to take a picture of you with Carealinda. I thought maybe Emily was more into the chicks than you were, because I saw 2 pictures of her loving on them.